FOLB BOARD MEETING SEPTEMBER 13 2011

FRIENDS  OF  LADY BIRD

Board Meeting – Lincoln Street

Tuesday, September 13, 2011 – 5:30 p.m.

Present:  Jerry Fischer, Ron Moerbe, Jimmy Lukacs, Anna
Marie Kluber, Betsy Nogueira, Joe Kammlah, Jerald Gold, Alan Wooley and Judy Chase.

Absent:  Leonard Bentch, Al Bickle, Bryan Davis, Jim Drewitz, Bruce Reeh

Vice President Jerry Fischer called the meeting to order at 5:40.  Joe Kammlah moved to accept the minutes as
circulated; it was seconded and the motion passed.

Betsy Nogueira gave the treasurer’s report for the past three months.  Our balance is $1,232.82.

Bag Tag Finances:  Betsy reported that  Gary Frantzen, Glenn Herzog and Nick Marsico still owe money.  Ron Moerbe volunteered to handle collecting  from  Herzog and Marsico; Anna Marie and Judy will collect from Frantzen.

STPGA  golf-a-thon monies due FOLB amount to  approximately $1,700. There was a question as to which FOLB entity will be the payee on the W-9 form.  The matter was tabled until Leonard returns .  Betsy will look for the tax ID # and Leonard
will determine whether the Foundation is the correct filing entity.

September 19th City
Council Meeting:
 It is Jerry’s impression that the opposition has obviated the need for a huge FOLB turnout…  A reasonable turnout in support for Alan’s budget (and to thank Councilmen Jones, Pearson and Segner for their support) will be appreciated.

Greens and Grapes (“Grip It and Sip It”)  :  First wkend in December, this will be the inaugural FOLB Tournament and it sounds like a dandy!   Three wineries are being considered primaries due to their ability to serve large groups beyond their normal clientele AND their proximity to each other.  (Becker, Grape Creek and either Pedernales Cellars or Torre de Pietra) .  Golf  will be played in the AM (120 players will be ideal…  $199 for the golfer/$99 for the non-playing spouse/date)  followed by wine tours and tastings in the afternoon… Sunday morning brunch in the Cardinal Room will host the awards ceremony.

Second tier wineries will be called upon for sponsorship participation also.  Cases of wine will make great door prizes,
etc. Tote bags bearing  Hershel  Byrd’s Greens and Grapes logo have been quoted at $3.35 each/500 units.  Jimmy Lukacs will seek a local quote for fewer than the 500 units at a lower price.

Busses will come from San Antonio and FOLB will need to provide the bus guides (Jerry Fischer will train guides).

Chamber of Commerce Holiday Brochure will include the  Greens and Grapes Event.  It will also publicize the Evening Christmas
Parade, the Kris Kringle Market, the Pioneer Museum’S   Christmas Homes’ Tour and other holiday events taking place that same weekend.

Joe Kammlah asked Alan how soon we can have our brochure available (ideally we can promote at the Oct 22nd Food and Wine Fest).  Alan has already contacted PGA Pro friends asking them to “save the date” (further details will follow shortly) . His goal
is to have the brochure out by 1 October. Winery owners have extensive wine club membership lists which will be great for  getting the word out…

Alan reported on Concierge Plan for membership “play” during construction:  Boot Ranch has agreed to take 20 players Monday and Wednesdays 12-3 pm ($100) . Shelly will make the arrangements and call us back  with the details.  If plans are made “on one’s own”, the  special rates offered by participating courses will NOT apply.  10 area courses have agreed to participate in helping our membership with tee times.

Our driving range will be open throughout the construction phase.  Balls will be available at the bottom of the
hill.  Pro shop staff will be busy brushing out the hill below the club house and that on #10.  They will also man the  ball
concession at the practice facility.

We are hopeful that the Grill will remain open throughout construction.  Ideally, a catering contract will be in
place for the grill to feed the construction workers breakfast and lunch.  If this occurs, the public may also come and
eat!

Alan suggested that we consider having our FOLB Board Meetings in the Cardinal Room
instead of at Lincoln Street and that was well received.  Next month: the Cardinal Room!

Membership/Election:  We feel as though Membership fees should go
to $20 with the bag tag included as a thank-you.

Jerry asked current board to consider whether or not we’d like to continue to serve on the board.  He emphasized the fact the
leaders of the various golf organizations must be participants  (this needs to be included in their specified duties).

Final issue of the meeting:  favorable letters to the editor have  shown up week by week and need to continue.  Harry McMurry
volunteered to write from his point of view as a youth golfer.  Tuesday morning, 9AM is the deadline for the weekly paper.

Ron Moerbe moved to adjourn. The motion was seconded and passed.

Meeting
adjourned at 7:20 pm.

Respectfully
submitted,

Judy
Chase , Secretary

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: