FRIENDS OF LADY BIRD JOHNSON MUNICIPAL GOLF CLUB, INC
Board Meeting – Red Bird Grill at Lady Bird Golf Club
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 – 5:30 p.m.
Present: Leonard Bentch, Jerry Fischer, Jerald Gold, Anna Marie Kluber, Ann Armentrout, Jim Drewitz, Jeff Jeffers, Bill Lindemann, Buzz Roye, Mark Seitz, Ron Moerbe, Jimmy Lucaks, Bruce Reeh, Judy Chase, Alan Wooley and special guest Bill Hanna.
Absent: Al Bickle, Hershal Byrd, Brian Davis and Ernie Loeffler.
President Leonard Bentch called the meeting to order at 5:37 pm.
The minutes from the August meeting were approved as electronically transmitted.
Treasurer Ann Armentrout reported a treasury balance of $2,622.37.
- Alan Wooley reported the course is looking great.
- The new golf carts are scheduled to be delivered on Monday.
- Richard Oliver, sports writer for the San Antonio Express, is coming this week and will write a piece on our “new” golf course.
- Texas Golf Association has been here to rate our course.
The Black tees were 70.6 and 126; now they are 72.7 and 127. The Blue tees were 68.7 and 113; now they are 69.7 and 122. The white tees were 66.7 and 110; now they are 68.0 and 116. The green tees are new and have been rated 65.2 and 110.
- The team rating our course (all members of Comanche Trace) are eager to return for a play day!
- The Womens’ Golf Association is coming “soon”; Alan will have them rate the forward, green and white tees for ladies.
- He announced that 20 slots remain for celebration play on the 28th. Festivities include a 10:30 lunch, 11:30 christening ceremony, 12:00 shotgun and cake following golf.
- Budget hearings are underway currently.
- Bill Hanna and his staff are doing a great job on the course.
- 3” of rain fell recently and #10 bunker failed; it is being corrected now.
- In addition to fitting Ping clubs, Alan will add Titleist to the mix.
- A free bunker clinic will be held on Thursday, September 14th at 5 pm at the practice facility.
- A member has donated a 60” flat screen television to be hung over the fireplace in the Red Bird Grill. Two other members have given smaller versions to go over the bar and in the “grab ‘n go” corner!
- Three white golf department pickups and ten belonging to the parks department are now parked in the maintenance facility parking lot — where they belong.
- Course signage is due in the next 7-10 days.
- Tee times for dates 2 weeks out will be accepted beginning at noon on September 17th by phone, in person or online at GOLFNOW.com). The course will remain closed on Mondays until next summer and the first tee time of the day will be 0800. The course will be going to 10 minute intervals instead of the 7 and 8 used in the past. Alan will probably be the starter in the beginning.
- Sales of practice balls will be returning to the Pro Shop.
SPECIAL BUSINESS: Preparation of FOLB’s Annual Report to City Council (as required by Council Resolution)
Jerry reminded us of the importance of maintaining strict confidentiality. Each board member was given a numbered copy of the DRAFT and each was collected at the end of the discussion.
The first discussion was to decide on the purpose of this year’s report. After considerable discussion, the purposes are to make a case for continued objective review of golf course operations by FOLB and USGA, provide a summary of recent Council and staff decisions leading to current golf course status and making a case for increased autonomy for the DOG to operate Lady Bird as a business.
The discussion then centered on developing the format of the report. General discussion led to the decision to use narrative rather than outline form with specific pages for an introduction, executive summary, reporting of observations, then conclusions and recommendations. Also, the USGA report from January 2012 is to be attached along with last year’s’ report.
The DRAFT was considered paragraph by paragraph yielding wide a ranging discussion concerning the truthfulness of all statements as well as the relevance and fairness of the information and conclusions. Many additions, corrections, deletions and editing changes were made.
The board voted unanimously to accept the DRAFT as discussed.
A final DRAFT will be circulated to all board members for one more opportunity to offer comments and recommendations with all correspondence to be sent “Reply to All”. Once complete, the final DRAFT will be sent to Mr. Kent Myers, who agreed to review the document prior to our publishing it to Council.
OTHER BUSINESS/NEW BUSINESS: none
Ron Moerbe moved to adjourn and Jim Drewitz seconded the motion. Motion passed.
Adjourned at 7:50 pm
Judy Chase, Secretary